Sunday, June 04, 2023

Rogue Messages as Scammable Scannable Poetry

The unstoppable waves of scam messages are dangerous but, once I started collecting them, took on a weird appeal. Silly on their own, collectively they have a rhythm and psychological urgency that makes them worth a look.

I never took them as messages "accidently" sent to the wrong email or phone. They're purely the output of criminal gangs looking to engage, cultivate, lure and rob victims. I never respond, despite the saucy photos sometimes included (right, I'm exactly their type, bald Jewish guys), or the chiding, pouting tone wondering why I'm ignoring their breathless desire for connection. They sound so wounded!

This is the start of my ongoing grotesquerie of lures with the hooks just waiting to latch on. Will AI make them better focused and personalized? I hope not, but with voice capture technologies and methods to mimic individual writing styles, that threat is approaching (if you get an email from me saying I've been arrested and need bail money, ignore it). 

See how these sound. To add some ambiguity to the collection, several are real messages.

I am expanding my network and perhaps you have ignored my friend request because you are busy, but I hope that when you are free I will hear back from you, establish contact and give me a chance to ask you for advice

Hello, great to see your professional resume. I would love to meet someone with experience like you. I hope we can form new friendships. Can we chat if we have time? 

Are you busy?

Delivery service: Provide the correct delivery address to avoid delay in receiving the goods due to incomplete door number. After replying "OK", reconfirm your address . . . 


This number has been stored in my mobile phone for a long time, but I don't know who it is. Who are you?

It's been a long time since we saw each other. How are you and your family? (identical messages from the same fake number, two minutes apart.)

Hi, we have received your sample for testing from your healthcare provider 

Good afternoon 🌞are you getting my texts?

You're busy

I was hoping we could get to know each other but you didn't respond

Please reply me

I was worried.

This number has been in my phone for a while but I don't know who it is, who you are

We temporarily placed your 
Amazon suspended
To restore follow instruction below

Can you come over now ??? Where are you?

Hello, do you remember me? 

USPS, we are currently unable to effect delivery. update the shipping address to resume delivery.

Hi! I left your number at that last party and I just remembered to contact you now, what 

Alisa, did you take my email by mistake yesterday? There is a customer email of mine in it.

Do you want to go out to sea together tomorrow?

Do you mind looking in the front closet by the front door on the shelf if the game Twister is there?

Hi Hanal, yesterday afternoon I asked my assistant to send you an order, did you receive it? 

Hello , I was hoping we could get to know more each other but you didn't reply yet. Are you busy or don't want to back to me? So I guess this is it, you are going to keep ignoring me.

Don't YU remember who am I?

Hello!WHere Have you been?

Hey, how was your weekend? Are you home yet?

Hey! Dear friend, you are invited to join the cryptocurrency internal discussion group. Lead you to earn 2K-50K per day . click to add group

Are you OK? Reply stop to unsubscribe (that's a tricky new twist, replying is exactly what the scammers want, to know this is a working number)

Hello, I'm Joanne. Do you know me? Reply STOP to unsubscribe.

Would you do me a favor and ask Naomi to text me?

Tim, I'm Ana, my father asked me to pick you up at Seoul Incheon International Airport. Message me when you get off the plane, please. 

Serena, is everything okay?☺☺ Reply STOP to unsubscribe.

No comments:

Two Microstories and Four Long, Terrible First Sentences of Novels

Here's a collection of short pieces--two microstories and four entries in the Katonah Village Library's Bulwer-Lytton writing contes...