Thursday, December 29, 2022

2022 Highlight: Cutting the Cable Cord

 What do I remember about 2022 and plan for 2023? My retirement funds tanked, inflation gnawed at the family budget, I got Covid at a wedding in September, I spent more time on Twitter in 10 days than I had in the past 10 years, I had knee surgery in November to fix a torn meniscus, some of the people I voted for in November actually got elected, and I kept working on blog posts and performing at open mics.

But for real lifestyle impact going into 2023, I think of 2022 as the year we cut the cable cord. My partner Naomi and I had Verizon FIOS for years, topped off by Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime and HBO. While I liked the series we watched on streaming services (Babylon Berlin, Russian Dolls, The Girls from Ipanema), I’d still use broadcast to check in on the local news, Spanish-language programming like telenovelas and the talent contest Tengo Talento, Mucho Talento to test my limited Spanish understanding, PBS programming, and—my weekend treat—football and baseball games. Mostly I mindlessly clicked around expecting to find something to hold my interest among the hours of advertising-clogged dreck. Well, I did like watching that Canadian show about big-rig blizzard rescues, Highway Thru Hell. 

But this fall, as we overhauled our Verizon spending, we dropped FIOS, the landline and network/cable TV, but kept the Internet services. Roku became our source for programming, along with streaming channels.

Imagine my shock when after we did the Big Snip that I couldn’t get the World Series! No Houston Astros, no more college football, no more Greg Gutfeld on Fox News, no more On Patrol: Live on Reelz, no more Dallas Cowboys! I felt a physical withdrawal at lacking access to enjoyable programs. The compulsion to plop down on the couch and mindlessly slog through the digital wasteland was stronger than I ever suspected.

My response: like any resourceful American, I adjusted to changing circumstances. I found I could listen to baseball on the radio, just like I did in the early 1970s. I found a radio station, KURV in Edinburg, Texas, that broadcast the Astros online so I tuned in to that station on my computer. For those rare moments where I want to watch the local news (mostly crime, celebrities and funny animal videos), I can get New York’s CBS News on a Roku app. Saturday Night Live? I can see segments online, if I ever cared again to watch that tediously predictable show.

Roku is a source of wonders on our TV monitor. We get the PBS Passport for documentaries and British crime dramas. The library-supported Kanopy service keeps me stocked in film noir, musicals, Italian neo-realism, French New Wave and European Holocaust fare I can’t find elsewhere. They’re the standard entertainment during my morning exercise routine; it may take a week to work through lengthy masterpieces like L’Avventura and Rocco and His Brothers, but I like the black-and-white company at dawn. As the three films at the bottom of the screen shot below show, I'm into director Lina Wertmuller these days. 



On the aural front, I recently discovered a Roku app called iTuner, with access to radio stations worldwide. As a music fan, this is tremendous. I now listen to broadcasts from Israel, Brazil, Mexico, Haiti, Portugal, Italy, Cuba, France and Cape Verde. Combined with the equally awesome and genre-searchable radio.garden, I get all the music I can handle.

With brain cells and attention freed up, I’ve increased my time both working on my long-gestating mystery novel and also reading novels. I just started The Lying Life of Adults, by Elena Ferrante. She wrote the novels that inspired the HBO series My Brilliant Friend, which we’re watching and enjoying.


As time passed, I felt less and less of a pull to watch favorites. Sports events on TV all take way too much time, so I never watched a game from beginning anyway. The others aren't so essential I want them back; I've engaged with other materials. The detox process is complete.

So, the bottom line: For 2023 I’ll use my expansion of free time to write and perform more. And if the Dallas Cowboys get into the Super Bowl, I’m sure I can listen to the game on the radio.


No comments:

Who Was Kate? Who Was Mary Kathryn?

The letter from 1968 I found the note in a stack of family letters. Dated July 15, 1968, the handwritten letter came from my father Mark’s...