Polly’s book, American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in the New China, is a raucous, wry look at his transformation from a “weakling” to a fighting machine. Despite his lonely status as the only English speaker at his academy, Polly persisted in the training and language study so that after a year, he says, “I began to understand the culture. The people let me in.” Published by Gotham Books in February, the book recounts his picaresque adventures as he traveled, clashed with Communist Party functionaries, and switched from kung fu to kickboxing.
Charting Van Wallach's adventures and obsessions, from small-town Texas to Princeton, Russia, Latin America and beyond. Open mic videos are included at no extra charge for your viewing enjoyment.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Matthew Polly: Transformation in China
Here's a Princeton Alumni Weekly profile of Matthew Polly '95, a martial arts expert who wrote a book about his experiences. The story says:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Normalizing Assassination with "Best of the Best"
As student romcom dance movies go, Best of the Best of Netflix brings a smart fresh twist: it’s about rival Bollywood-fusion dance teams fa...
-
Last month I attended my 50 th high school reunion in Mission, Texas. Camera in hand I devoted myself to the lovely, melancholy task of doc...
-
I come from a family of letter writers. My mother Shirley and her sister Charlotte swapped letters every week. They remembered their mothe...
-
Fearof Flying ? I liked Erica Jong’s saucy 1973 novel, but I never feared flying. But Fear of Driving? That I can relate to. When did my d...
No comments:
Post a Comment